Integrated DNA Technologies (IDT) and ScienceAbroad established a postdoctoral fellowship that aims to assist outstanding Israeli scholars in the life sciences to advance and excel in their respective fields.
Integrated DNA Technologies, Inc. (IDT), the global leader in custom nucleic acid synthesis, develops, manufactures, and markets nucleic acid products for the life sciences industry including academic research, biotechnology, agriculture, medical diagnostics, and pharmaceutical development. IDT’s oligonucleotides and proprietary technologies are used for genomics applications including next generation sequencing, CRISPR genome editing, qPCR, and RNA interference. IDT has multiple USA sites, with headquarters in Illinois and manufacturing facilities in Iowa and California. The Company’s global presence includes manufacturing in Belgium and Singapore, as well as an international network of sales representatives and distributors. This award is made possible by IDT’s Foundation for Advancing Technology and Community Giving.
ScienceAbroad is an Israel-based nonprofit organization that harnesses the power of senior Israeli scientists abroad. Through its wide-reaching professional and social network, ScienceAbroad inspires connections with local Jewish communities, international scientists and Israel. This network advances scientific achievements, bolsters the Israeli identity of scientists living overseas, and helps facilitate the return of great minds to Israel.
The fellowship from IDT (“Fellowship”) supports one year of postdoctoral research in the life sciences to be conducted in an accredited academic institution outside of Israel.
This Fellowship is not exclusive and may be obtained in parallel to another fellowship.
- Application opens: January 14, 2018
- Application deadline: March 14, 2018
- Notice of acceptance: By June 14, 2018
- Must begin postdoctoral research abroad by August 2019.
Please make sure you fulfill the following criteria before submitting your application.
- Applicants must be Israeli citizens.
- Candidates must reside in Israel at the time of application. The Fellowship may only be used to fund the first year of postdoctoral study abroad.
- Candidates must be able to obtain any immigration documentation needed to attend the academic institution outside of Israel.
- Applicants must hold a PhD degree from an accredited Israeli institution of higher learning at the start of the Fellowship, at the latest.
- The PhD degree must have been obtained during the three years prior to the date the application is complete (some exceptions may apply, please contact the fellowship director at ScienceAbroad).
- Applicants must have at least one first author research paper accepted for publication or published in an international peer reviewed journal at the time the application is complete (papers ‘submitted’ or ‘in preparation’, review articles and conference abstracts, are not accepted).
- Postdoctoral research must be in the life sciences field and conducted at a recognized academic institution outside of Israel.
- Applicants must provide an invitation letter from the host lab/institute at the time of application and an acceptance letter at the time of receiving the award.
- Candidate must be registered as a ScienceAbroad member. Registration at https://scienceabroad.org.il/sign-up/
Applications are accepted via the online application system on the ScienceAbroad website.
The online application process will open on January 14, 2018 and the deadline is March 14, 2018. Applications and all additional documents must be in English.
No application can be completed without all the information required, including the three reference letters and the invitation letter from the receiving institute.
The on-line submission includes the following:
- Postdoctoral Applicant Information – enter all requested details in the online submission form.
- Application Files – prepare the requested files listed below in advance as separate Word or PDF files (in English, at least 1.5 line spacing, font size 12, margins 2.5cm all around) and upload them one at a time.
- Applicant Curriculum Vitae including the following sections in this order:
- Education, including degrees received
- Presentations/participation at scientific meetings: clearly specify whether a poster or talk was presented and indicate the presenting author
- Membership/activities in academic and scientific societies
- Teaching and training experience
- Academic awards, scholarships, fellowships, distinctions
- List of Publications (indicate complete list of authors, followed by year, full title, journal, volume and pages. Please put your own name in bold letters.)
- List peer reviewed articles and invited contributions first
- List books, book chapters, and other publications
- List “in press” or “accepted” articles, include date and journal name
- Do NOT include abstracts of meeting presentations
- Do NOT list submitted manuscripts or ‘under review’
- Invitation/acceptance letter from host lab/institution – an invitation letter from an accredited academic institution outside of Israel acknowledging that you will be accepted for at least the duration of the Fellowship in case you are selected. You will be required to present an official acceptance letter before receiving the Fellowship.
- Research Proposal – summary and biological significance of the proposed research (up to one page), including:
- Hypotheses and objectives
- Description of the innovative aspects of the research
- Brief research plan and its rationale
- Outline of the proposed methodology
- Significance to the research field
- Applicant Curriculum Vitae including the following sections in this order:
- Reference letters – provide names and contact details of three references. Please have the reference letters emailed to email@example.com on your behalf. One of the references must be from your PhD supervisor.
The Fellowship is for one year and includes the following:
- $20,000 USD stipend paid directly to the awardee in two installments (with the first payment of $10,000 USD paid at the beginning of the postdoctoral research at the selected academic institution and a second payment of $10,000 USD paid 6 months following the starting date).
- $5000 USD relocation allowance paid to the awardee once an agreement between the awardee and ScienceAbroad is signed.
- $15,000 USD for research expenses – this sum will be paid to the selected academic institution for the awardee’s research expenses for up to 3 years from the beginning of the Fellowship.
Applications will be evaluated and ranked by a professional scientific review committee that will take into account the following:
Scientific achievements of the applicant
- Publications and CV.
- Performance of the applicant based on reference letters.
- Quality, novelty and biological significance of the proposed research.
- Coherent and logical presentation of the research project.
- Suitability of the host laboratory for the proposed research project and training of the applicant.
- Scientific achievements of the host laboratory.
The fellowship director notifies all applicants in writing of the decision during the month of June following the submission.
The awardee must inform ScienceAbroad of acceptance of the award within three weeks of notification. If the award is not accepted within three weeks, it will be granted to another applicant. The award is to be initiated no later than August, 2019. An agreement between ScienceAbroad and the awardee will be prepared outlining the terms of the Fellowship, the total award, schedule of payments and the awardee’s intention of coming back to Israel following the postdoctoral training.
Publications and Acknowledgments
- The Fellowship awardee will be requested to write a thank-you letter to IDT.
- The awardee should acknowledge IDT-ScienceAbroad Fellowship support in all relevant publications using the following format: This research was supported by IDT-ScienceAbroad Postdoctoral Fellowship.
IDT will be pleased to maintain contact with the Postdoctoral Fellows and periodically follow their professional progress. The follow-up may include visits of the fellow to IDT to provide seminars on his/her work throughout the postdoc training.
Please contact the fellowship director at ScienceAbroad with any questions or problems that arise during the application process: firstname.lastname@example.org